Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
This Year's Fanart Calendar Contest (the rough idea) 
Admin Goddess

This Year's Fanart Calendar Contest (the rough idea)
I have not had time to formalize my thoughts or type this out, so what I'm about to do is slightly problematic BUT: there might be a lot of art-momentum and muse inspiration floating around, so I don't want to lose that:

:star: The rough idea for the calendar contest theme this year will be "History of Hyrule"
And it will go towards making another free downloadable calendar- for 2013.

I knew I was going to do something like this more than a few months ago: but with the Hyrule Historia book coming out, and the timeline news, it makes it even more perfect. See, 2012 is technically History of Hyrule's 10th birthday, and with the site re-launching: I thought that theme would be a great way to celebrate it. I also love the idea of "scenes from Hyrule's history" -because I totally think we need to see more of that.

So, basically, what I'm getting at is: if you've been itching to draw something that sounds like it could use the words "History of Hyrule" to describe the piece, & (if you're willing to risk it not counting towards the contest, because it might not fall within the theme once I've honed my thoughts,) right now all you need to know is that it should be the same size ratio as the last one, and stick to the Zelda-verse (again, no crossovers with other series- like SSB)

Again, its an 8:5 size ratio and most of the same rules from the last one apply: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=405
(basically: no copies of official art, no crossovers, try not to do collaborations because of the prize situation, traditional styles of art only /they can be drawn-CG, but no sprites or 3D-CG/ avoid text on the art, you can't enter anything you've already finished) It will probably not have as long of a run time: I think I will end it at the end of summer.

The fanfic contest will be slightly different. I've proven to myself & everyone by failing that I can't handle larger entries (even though they were short) I am actually about to write the winners of the last one and announce who they are (see how shameful that is? /huge fail) so I have another idea in mind for it. I think people will like it way more too.

By the way, if you still want to download the free 2012 calendar these pieces appear on, you can do that here:
http://historyofhyrule.com/fanworks/0_2012calendar.php
I also provide a template, and all the entries, so you can make your own!

:star: If you have any ideas or questions, if you want to tell me what you think or help me iron this concept out- let's do so! Just leave a comment

Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:13 am
Profile WWW
Hyrulean

Post Re: This Year's Fanart Calendar Contest (the rough idea)
Entering once again, this is going to be great, I can't wait to see everyone's entries! Good luck all!

Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:56 am
Profile WWW
Hylian

Already brainstorming mine! This will be sweet! :D Settling for one idea will be tricky, there's so much to choose from xD

Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:05 am
Profile WWW
The Ranch Chick

I love the sound of this theme. It makes the wheels in my brain spin around more. ♥

Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:08 pm
Admin Goddess

Awesome guys! OMG, I can not express how happy it makes me to know that there is such interest in this idea. I've been so excited thinking about all this timeline and history stuff that the idea of seeing drawings give the series even more life /makes my head want to explode with awesome/

Yeah, at the moment I'm thinking that maybe it should be a scene not directly seen in the game. So maybe one could elaborate on something that is seen in the game, but not a literal interpretation of a visual that Nintendo has already given us. But... maybe that should just be a loose guideline and not a rule... because that's... going to be too hard to convey to a mass amount of people. X)

It's just that, something that they talk about, or imply, (or is possible- like death or a meeting) but never really show would be so amazing!

Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:17 am
Profile WWW
Hyrulean

The idea I had in mind was completely different to what you just said xD Might have to think of another one just in case.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:28 am
Profile WWW
Hylian

It's funny that would be the theme when I have this interesting Zelda mural in mind. I've been wanting to draw all the Zeldas side by side in a mural, but redesigned to my style (which is currently undergoing massive evolutionary changes). I mainly want to work on a redesign of Zelda from the first game.

But yeah, not going to do it anytime soon because I want to develop my coloring method more. I've downloaded so much stock in the last few days and am looking forward to working on some non-Zelda stuff for a change.

Places I Dwell:
DeviantArt
Personal Tumblr
Animation/Art Tumblr

Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:33 am
Profile WWW
Hyrulean

Fantastic idea! This makes me think of all those pivotal important determining moments in the series that were mentioned, but not necessarily played or elaborated in the game (i.e. the Traveller discovering Majora's Mask, the breaking of numerous seals), or even artistic mural representations of final battles.

Spoiler: show
Also maybe an excellent time and excuse for me to do an artwork of the original form of Hylia, which while I appreciate the manga representation, I imagine her very different after Demise's comment about how magnificent she formerly looked in comparison to SS Zelda's feeble form. Immediately I'd love to do an entry depicting that moment where Hylia sent the Triforce skyward...

When is the contest officially supposed to begin/around when will the rules be finalized?

Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:00 am
Profile WWW
Ex-Crazy Cat Lady

Sounds SO awesome, I can't wait to start sketching out ideas!

Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:09 am
Profile WWW
Admin Goddess

Eee! I'm so glad muses are showing up! Nothing could make me happier!

With everything going on I've been slower to officially start this than I would like :catfish: But please don't let that hold any of you back from doing something you think might go with if the inclination takes you! I'm probably going to be much more open about it this year.

Just that: actual scenes work better and, when you look at it, if you can see the phrase "a part of Hyrule's History" being used to describe it: You're probably spot on.

It looks like so far the prizes are going to be: Hyrule Historia if they actually ship the orders they opened on Amazon a few days ago, the 25th anniversary player's cards (thanks to a friend :3), one of these maps, I pre-ordered some figurines that are supposed to ship in June or something, and I'll probably do Saria's ocarina again (as a main prize) because that was a hit but I can't afford the Ocarina of Time again. (And DA subscriptions.) Then, like last year, I kind of just go with what ever cute things I see pop-up.

Zettobi: What was your idea? One of the reasons I wanted to make this thread was because I was trying to see how it might be intereperted, so maybe I could change how I wrote it up or planned it. :D It could be a big help to me to know what the theme made people think of. (If you dont' want to say here, PM's are perfectly fine!)

Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next